View Single Post
Old 12-29-20, 03:42 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
I did not even know they made masking tape only 1/8" wide. Thank you, Amazon!

(A) This idea of using water on the surface even with a self-adhesive “decal”, is this relatively universal, beyond Cyclomondo, Velocals, etc? I have one set sent by the Palo Alto bicycle shop in CA, peel-n-stick, for all I know the decals are 40 years old like the P.A. frame. I’d like to think those would not need a different application process.

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
While it is possible to use frame tubing (of course as a framebuilding teacher I have hundreds of short pieces of scraps), they are a bit of a sloppy fit. The very best option is to use steel tubing that has a wall thickness of 0.058". The outside diameter (ø) will be 1/8" larger than the tube you are placing this tool on top of. For example if you are using the tool on a 1 1/8" down tube, the tool itself would have an OD of 1 3/8" with a wall thickness of 0.058". This is commonly available tubing from steel tubing suppliers. For example Wicks Aircraft or Airport Spruce are 2 examples of places that sell 4130 tubing in those wall thickness. They sell it by the foot (or more). The purpose of 0.058" wall tubing is because they are a slip fit that can create telescoping tubing with just the right amount of clearance so the smaller tube can fit and move inside a bigger one. I don't know anything about and have never tried to use plastic tubing. It will work if a split piece fits snuggly on top of a tube. Of course I have all the right tools fo make tool #2. I have wood blocks to hold the tubing while it is cut. I have a lathe and/or a belt sander to square the ends of the tubing stub before I split it lengthwise in half.
(B) Wow, wondering if I should be thinking about a Plan B. Making up a jig makes sense when doing multiple bikes (five for me), I think I’m reading that I need tools to make tools. I just hit that aviation website, the steel is not all that expensive. But, despite having so many packages arriving for these projects I probably should have a conveyor belt installed at the front door, not sure I can justify to my wife a lathe and a metal cutting bandsaw (bummer, I wouldn’t mind having both)!