Old 04-26-11, 08:41 PM
Series of Tubes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Confused, looking for tricycle suggestions

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum--wasn't sure where would be the best place to post my question.

I don't know a ton about cycling, but would really like to get into it this summer to get fitter, save money, and hopefully have fun in the process! Unfortunately I have balance issues and don't feel comfortable with a standard bicycle, so I am really looking for an adult tricycle, I think I would feel a lot safer with that instead.

I have been reading as much as I can about how to pick a type of bicycle to meet your needs, but I am confused how much of that applies to tricyles. Maybe because adult tricycles are less popular, but there seems to be less of a selection? Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places.

There is a bike store near where I live but I asked if they sold adult tricycles and just got laughed at, so I'm not keen on going back.

Maybe someone on here can suggest some reliable brands/models to look at that would meet my needs? Money is an issue, so if I ignorantly ended up with some shoddy lemon brand or something that I can't use for what I wanted, it will definitely hurt the household budget. I want to take my time to pick something reliable that will be good for what I need.

I mainly want to use it for commuting to/from work and running errands around town (groceries, post office, etc.) Storage bins/baskets a big plus for that, most models seem to have these. It would be ridden in an area with lots of hills, mainly on paved roads but sometimes rougher surfaces like gravel. I prefer to stay away from recumbents, they just look a little too bizarre for me.

Any help or advice would be great! I'm just feeling overwhelmed with all the info and have nobody to ask in person.