View Single Post
Old 03-30-20, 05:18 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
@JaccoW
I have all those SA parts. I moved the rivet to the long pull hole, that is farthest from the handlebar by the Archer engraving.
Looks like you have a Schlumpf too. Your bike is going to be great. But get rid of those cheap trap fall apart pedals, get one piece molded pedals, like the V Sixty ones with rivet studs.
My XL-FDD has 24,000 miles with a new RS bearing at 17,000. Any dirt that gets inside gets pulverized and falls out. BEST thing I ever bought, except my 1974 Raleigh smooth plastic grips.
I loved my SA 5w that was very fast for me while it shifted well. I oiled the inside soon after I got it. Unfortunately, the weaker of the 2 springs wouldn't hold shape and the indicator kept sticking when going back inside. I sanded off the corners of the key, but it only helped a little. Plus I was switching it out with a Rohloff and forgot how to put the washers so it would work. Last time I tried, a pawl seemed to be not connecting for 2-3-4 gears.
I would love to try a Schlumpf drive but that's just a regular Sturmey Archer crankset that fits a Shimano Nexus chainguard. It's very common over here.

As for the pedals, they are certainly not the cheap riveted models you see everywhere. MKS came out with an updated version of some of their most popular models last year. These are the MKS BM-7 NEXT a triple sealed bearing model of the classic MKS BM-7. I don't like pedals with rivet studs as I will also riding this bike in dress shoes and that will just shred them to pieces.

When I overhauled the hub I replaced all bearings and springs and put a good amount of oil in there as well. From what I've read these hubs are very picky about the shifter being used and it is most notable in 4th gear.