View Single Post
Old 05-01-18, 09:07 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
still haven't set up a new photohosting site, but I got it done and it seems to work alright. only rode it a few miles and did the local cyclouvia, but now the weather has turned. if I come up with another trike hub I may go ahead and try the "gears all over it" idea. it'd probably be fun, especially if I could find a bunch of the old muscle bike stick shifts to control the various hubs/derailleurs.
dropped some gears (total number anyway), but have a set up i like better. i switched the 7sp freewheel cluster for a 5sp cluster from a shimano front freewheel system. the semi (sort of) fixed gears on the front freewheel cluster keep the trike hub spinning for better shifting (the trike hub is more or less "coasting" like it normally would when i stop pedaling), and since the front front freewheel cluster is still spinning the back chain i can shift the derailleur while coasting too. i've read there's a 6sp version of the cluster, so i could get a few gears back to increase the total number, but i'll have to luck across one. i also like the tricky-ness of it. one chain stops when i stop pedaling while the other always spins. i think if i get to the paint/finishing stage of this bike i'll buy two different color chains for it.

so now a 15 speed (that i really like, working out the same set up on one or two other bikes), but it still works as a base for just trying to max out the gear numbers. like a triple chain ring on the front with a tensioner, or finding the sram internal/freewheel hub. the crazy multigear burrito is still a festering idea if i luck across some extra parts.