Old 08-05-13, 12:07 PM
brons2
Hook 'Em Horns

Bikes: Mine: Paul Taylor Custom 66cm, Rivendell custom 68cm, '75 Eisentraut Touring 69cm, 68cm track frame of indeterminate origin, '92 Cannondale M500. Ours: '93 Burley Duet tandem XL. Hers: L Mercier Sora thingy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brons2
Anyone tried a Kia Rondo? I'm about to buy my first (used) tandem after many tens of thousands of miles on single bikes. I have gotten 20 8 foot 2x4s in my Rondo by folding down both the back seats and the passenger seat, and positioning them diagonally. I'm pretty sure it will work this way with the tandem but I need to be able to carry the stoker also (my new wife) so I was hoping it might go straight in. Definitely got a little sticker shock pricing out the Yakima solution for tandems not to mention the effects on aerodynamics and gas mileage.
I answered my own question, the Rondo does fit our Burley but you have to lay the front passenger seat flat and put the rear wheel in first. Ends up with the rear wheel right over the front passenger seat. The wifey had to sit behind me on the side of the back seat that wasn't folded forward.

It might be possible to get the bike down the center with a smaller tandem. There just wasn't enough headroom with our bike, an XL model.