View Single Post
Old 08-19-19, 04:27 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
Nice! Saw the ad on Marktplaats and you bidding on it. It has the right amount of patina!
Ha! Seems like I'm not the only one with an active "Sturmey Archer" search.

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
That looks really nice. Did you repaint?
Originally Posted by BigChief
I agree. This looks much better with the colors restored even if there's no help for the missing chrome. On this shifter, the colors were gone but the chrome was still intact. There is no chrome in the embossed areas so just a dull, plain brass was showing. I could only see traces of black in the "3 SA and England areas, so I didn't add red. I covered the areas to be restored with a permanent magic marker, lightly soaked alcohol on a piece of paper ( a heavier paper like stationary is better than shiny paper like printer paper) and wiped off the excess on a flat surface.
Nice result BigChief. I did something similar but using acrylic paint. Used some paper and alcohol soaked cotton buds to get clean lines. I went for these colors as they seemed to match up with pictures of the same model I found online.
Went through the trouble of disassembling the entire thing but that of course means you either have to replace the pins with new ones or drill the holes out for screws. I think I have a post around here somewhere with a bit more information.