Old 10-16-19, 11:09 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
When I got serious about riding in the '70s one of the limiting factors to fit was the availability of long seatposts if you wanted to ride a smallish frame and get the right leg extension. I'd been riding a 25" Batavus and when I got my '78 64cm PX10 it had a dinky Simplex post (195mm?) that was barely long enough when you consider the amount required for safe insertion limits. It was not until the arrival of mountain bikes in the '80s that anything longer than 220mm was generally available. I can still straddle a tall frame but I'm shrinking in the torso; no longer 6'1" but now 5'10". Have not gotten rid of many bikes but am buying 62cm/24" nowadays in case I get shorter. That's life, if you live long enough. Have not ridden a compact frame or anything newer than mid-'90s.
Locating a longer (modern but still classic looking) seatpost for a smaller, horizontal top tube bike is an excellent way to keep a classic & vintage frame relevant to modern fit sensibilities. I’m building up a Klein Performance that is more like a size 53 for my (nearly) 6’ self.
I bought a used 27.4 vintage Dura Ace 7400 seatpost but now realize it is too short. So now, I managed to blow more money on a silver Thomson 330 mm zero setback 27.4 post. My goal with this is to mount my favorite saddle on there - Selle Italia Turbomatic Team and make the Klein a sort of speedy commuter/touring bike.

Last edited by masi61; 10-16-19 at 01:17 PM.