Old 05-11-20, 06:36 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by eddie_the_K
I dunno, overthinking is my talent. Seems like a good idea for touring.

I was asking about how hard it is to wash GAP dirt off the bike in general. I used Pedro's Bike Lust for the first time earlier this month and now I have a hard time getting it to stay put in the workstand. That's gotta make it easier to de-mud before bringing it inside.

I am planning on Park oil and Boeshield. And a red shop rag.

- Ed
Do you have fenders? If you do, don't worry about it. I ride the GAP all the time. I have fenders, it is a non-issue. My wife's bike did not have fenders, her drivetrain was always needing cleaned. Her bike now has fenders.

If you stop at Rockwood for the night, there is a campground, and a house available. The house is set up for bikers riding the trail. The same owner owns that campground. The house has provisions for washing bikes. If you stay in the house, or the campground you can use it. They also have laundry facilities and a computer.

Honestly though, don't worry too much about it, as long as you have fenders. I don't remember the last time I washed my bike, and it's been on the GAP a lot. I do maintain the drivetrain, but probably only really clean the entire drivetrain once a year. Fenders make a huge difference. On tour, wipe the chain, and lube.

The bike was probably washed well last year on my tour across Indiana and Ohio, as it rained on me.