View Single Post
Old 03-09-19, 07:31 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Interesting.

Well, hey, if AVs reduce accidents by 5/6 I will be happy. I don't own any black jerseys or blacked-out bikes.
The obvious leap of thought with that knowledge of black is like you said, you don't want to be wearing black clothing anymore while riding. Personally I don't understand why they are rushing this autonomous technology into the market place, it isn't ready for prime time, nor do I think it will be ready for at least 15 years, yet they're rushing it out, I personally don't want to be a Guinea Pig on the street for their testing of this product; and then there is the murky world of liability, who is going to get sued if a autonomous car hits a person and kills them or severely injuries them? The driver? The driver will blame the technology, the company that made the tech? they'll blame the driver, this is going to be a weird legal issue that's for sure. I will never buy a car that has that technology in it, and if I have to because I can't find a car without it then I will disengage it, I've been driving for almost 50 years and I have yet to hit a black person!! More to the point, I have never had an at fault accident, so I think I can trust my driving abilities over that of some technology system.

Of course with todays idiots driving and texting a car with a stopping system is a good idea, but why should WE pay to have that stopping system or autonomous systems in our cars when all they really have to do, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper, is to make all cell phones shut off automatically at speeds greater than 15 mph, and actually the technology to do that is already in the phone! And the only number you could enter into the phone and have it work at speeds over 15 is 911. We pay far too much for cars now, and these damn autonomous systems are making them even more expensive, all so we can yak and text on a phone...it's not worth it, we all got a long just fine driving our cars without the need of wanting to be on the phone the whole time driving, I'm sure we could get along fine without them again.

By the way, this autonomous system was also having troubles "seeing" cyclists...I can assume the rich corporate types that created this system hate cyclists as well.

Last edited by greatscott; 03-09-19 at 07:37 AM.