Old 01-15-20, 07:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
yup! bet you even have something in your garage/basement that can work...
To piggyback on this comment.

I was really proud of my standing start as I felt it was where I excelled. (I've told this story before). After training under the guy who is arguably the best U.S. Masters Man1 in recent history, Kirk Whiteman, I started training my starts (as well as other efforts) on CycleOps spin bikes in my home as he does with his athletes in his spin studio (I trained there, too). When configured with the right level of friction, they simulate perfectly the forces of a standing start. I've poured just under 2200W into them before. It's perfect for various types of training for the track.

I highly recommend that any athlete that is gonna be in the sport for a few years invest in one. This eliminates any excuse about getting time on the bike. You can do any effort from 10s standing start efforts to "Netflix and spin" fat-burning rides as you watch a movie.

I've built 3 of them over the years and never paid more than like $400 for a used one (gym surplus or some guy who bought one from a bike shop and never used it). And they all had power meters on them.

They are like Wattbikes before Wattbike existed...and are less expensive new and easier to find used in the USA.