Old 04-27-20, 05:52 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by TDinBristol
Brawlo,
How do you knurl the roller on a trainer?
I have the Kurt Kinetic with heavy flywheel, and I do use the green trainer tire, which I find does make a difference (and have sprayed fan-belt conditioner on it, which helps, too). But I still get some slippage on hard efforts. But I prefer this type of trainer because I have bikes with 8 and 11-speed setups, as well as track bikes, and I can use any of them as I need to.
It's a warranty voiding exercise, so if that scares you off then just stick with tape. You have to pull it apart and get the roller off and then get someone to put a knurler over it on a lathe. The guys that did mine didn't make it very aggressive and I had doubts but they didn't charge me so I just took it. Damn thing slips less than the grip tape. It's awesome. I still was getting a very small amount of rubber thrown off the tyre, but it was about 0.001% of what was thrown from using grip tape.

Note: I pulled the fluid unit apart to get the centre spindle/axle out, but from memory I'm pretty sure after doing that I found that I didn't actually have to do it that way, but I can't remember now what that way was