View Single Post
Old 06-23-20, 05:00 PM
ulstoft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
The lower the ratio, the more spin you have. Just key in all the sprocket sizes in a calculator and you'll have the numbers.
It will be a real luxury having this kind of gearing

Don't worry about top end. 44x11 gives 108 gear inches. Plenty. In my unloaded road bike with 32mm tires, i only went up to 44x13 (91.4 gear inch). Now it has 38x11 top gear (93.3 gear inch). Good enough for me. In my cargo bike with 26x2.0 tires, loaded or unloaded, i rarely go beyond 65 gear inch.
Okay thanks. Based on all the comments, I have decided to go with the 11-34. It is not a too difficult a decision because the cassette can always be changed.

Turning would take more effort, steering overcorrections. Just like gearing, better have more torque than less.
I am going to go ride it again and will pay attention to that. The actual ride of the bike was absolute brilliant. It absorbed potholes really well. But turning wise it felt a little "light" at the front, as if I could pick the bike up into the air while turning. To be clear, the bike did not rise into the air while turning, it was just a sensation that it wouldn't take a great of effort for me to make it come off the ground. I don't want to make too big a deal out of that because I might feel that way on any flat bar bike with a relaxed geometry. But needless to say I wasn't immediately convinced by the turning.