View Single Post
Old 06-30-20, 07:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Remember all the times I've brought up how I change my bikes front brake to right lever? Engrained hand instincts from 40 years ago of right hand=front brake.
Years ago, a friend of mine was in the UK and on a whim bought a new Trek bike. We live in Wisconsin, Trek is headquartered in Wisconsin, not sure why he decided to buy a Trek in the UK, but he did and brought it home. We used to work at the same company and shared an office together, we were out having a few beers catching up life when he told me about his new bike.

Front brake on right, rear on left, that is the opposite of the norm for USA new bikes. He was in a huge quandary about what to do, was thinking of taking it to a bike shop to buy new brake levers or something like that. I told him to just swap the cables. He could not believe it was that simple until he thought about it for a few seconds, then it was time for another beer to celebrate how simple the job would be.