View Single Post
Old 10-30-19, 06:48 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Hell yeah!! I saw it got relisted recently and the thought crossed my mind again as well given the RH repro in dev. Glad you pulled the trigger!
Just curious, have you seen anything that implies that RH will be offering the repro Nivex for sale? Other than the fact that there has been at least one produced, so most of the R&D is complete and it would likely be just a matter of producing them?

I think it would be awesome to see it go into production, but compared to the other offerings by RH that, while boutique, are more or less standard equipment for modern bikes I can't really see any place for the Nivex repro in the bicycling world outside of custom builders.

Jan did a lot to popularize wider supple tires for bikes, and I know that getting roadies on to that bandwagon was a huge feat and he and the RH/BQ team deserve a lot of praise for their efforts, but trying to get people to buy in to a derailleur standard that is so different from everything else seems a little unrealistic. I mean, a lot of people will drop $160 on a pair of tires to try out something new, especially since if you don't like it you can just switch back.

But exploring the world of a Nivex repro involves a much bigger commitment. At the very least it would involve having an existing frame modified with new dropouts and RD mount, and then you're stuck with a bike that you can only use that particular derailleur on.

And considering what would likely be a very limited run, can you imagine how much the RD and shifter would cost? If RH already charges close to $200 for a single centerpull brake, of which they make a lot of, I can only imagine that it would end up being close to $1000

Not trying to be a downer or overly critical, as the first time I saw a picture of that RD on Instagram I got really excited. I just really can't see much of a market for it. Although I suppose that there are enough people with interest and enough money that would cause the first production run to sell out immediately. I mean, I would go for it if I could