Old 03-22-20, 02:34 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Try Zinn bikes, Surly too. I'm 6'4". Finding any XXL?

This, without a doubt, the best advice. At 6' 7", you may need a custom bike as well as much longer cranks than the industry usually provides. And if you cannot afford custom, Zinn should be able to point you in the correct direction. A 6'4" roommate of mine rode and raced on 180mm cranks for decades. Then he was introduced to Zinn who put him on 193mm cranks. (And let me add that 13mm may not seem like much, but it's a MILE. I switched to 5mm longer cranks while on a ride one day and I didn't expect to notice the difference. Not only was the difference obvious, it felt like I was turning cranks almost twice as long!) My roommate says "I rediscovered cycling!" after switching to proper crank lengths. In hindsight, he realizes his biomechanics on the bike were terrible. Only after switching to correct crank length did he feel "free" on the bike. Plus, he suffered an injury while racing - a tendon pulled part of his bone off, apparently because he wasn't getting proper leverage on the crank arms.

But going custom for you will be expensive. You want to ride a bicycle comfortably, with proper fit and biomechanics. It's something that the "average" person achieves usually without much thought. But you will have to search to find this. If, say, Santa Cruz, can provide an off-the-shelf fit for you, then you're very lucky. Looking at their website, the XXL may be a fit. However, all the Hightower frame sizes show 170mm cranks, which must be a mistake. The XXL Tallboy lists 175mm cranks, which are most certainly WAY TOO SMALL for you.

But if there are a few manufacturers out there providing a fit for someone your height (as Santa Cruz indicates), then you're lucky. The industry abandoned such large sizes over 20 years ago. Glad to see they're making the effort. But you'll probably have to make some changes to achieve ideal fit.