Old 06-06-20, 12:59 AM
fofinet855

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The last bike I'll ever buy

Hey everyone, first post here.

I'm looking to buy a new road/tourism/gravel bike, for hybrid use (commuting, traveling, skiing
). I've checked online and found tons of possibilities, of course, with almost endless choices regarding all the possible aspects of the bike.

My question here is a bit lateral, perhaps: what bike, or bikes, or kind of bike, can I expect to last the longest? Right now I'm using a Cannondale H800 from, I believe, 1994. I've been using it a lot and for a very long time, been hit by a (slow) car once, and in time I've changed almost all the components, but it's still working (frame and fork are original). I find this quite amazing: it's so old, but with some maintenance it stil serves it function.

Now I want to replace it with something similar, because it's a bit too small for me, because it does show its age, and because in Italy there is a €500 bonus for buying a bike. I'm looking for something in the €1000-1500 range (but can think of going a bit higher if it's worth it). What aspects should I take into consideration regarding the likelihood that it'll last me just as long as the Cannondale? (For example: carbon vs aluminium vs steel for both frame and fork, mechanical vs fluid for the brakes, model of the derailleur, etc)

I'm not a pro, I'm not obsessed with speed, I'm not looking for the highest-end components. I mostly want it to be solid, and to carry me around even with a heavy load.

Thanks in advance.