Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
Sucks to hear! I wonder if their Spyre cousins suffer from to same issues? I agree, awesome design to maximize braking force from a mechanical caliper but too bad, like you said.
I have not heard of this in regards to the Spyres. In fact, when this came up before, others with Spyres have said theirs are perfectly smooth. This may just be a bad run of Spykes, I don't really know. There are not many reviews out there for Spykes, but none mention this issue. Tons more reviews and people with experience with Spyres.

Originally Posted by davei1980
Have you thought about Paul Components "Klampers"? They are super beefy with big ball bearings and serviceable everything. They don't actuate on both sides, they're more like a BB7 but beefier. I'd run these if I was bikepacking in the middle of nowhere. They're made in Northern California too I think.
I've read a lot about them. Not really sure I see the point in spending all that extra money for a brake that has the same (and only) drawback as the BB7s. TBH, I've always been pretty happy with BB7s. I like my XT hydros a little better (when they are working 100%), but I still use BB7s on builds.
Likes For Kapusta: