Old 10-01-19, 05:49 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
This road test was solid journalism imo. Unlike so many other (and a bit more recent) such tests, they actually credited the EF Schwinn for it's quality and rugged construction and it's good design.
@ryansu, by chance did the Varsity you rode have a good saddle and bar tape on it? It's little details like that which can have a disproportionate influence on riding impressions!

I've ridden the big Varsity on sporting club rides over 50+ miles, and while a bit heavy, the Varsity was a great-riding bike that also entertained everyone with it's heft and it's solid kickstand.
Of course I gave the old bike the benefit of a 6s Uniglide freewheel and better saddle (like a 60's model would have come with), and fitted it out with a 2cm-longer stem and some clipless 1/2" pedals to make it worthy of contemporary standards, but it's pretty much a stocker right down to the original wheelset and steel handlebar.

The one I rebuilt had some issues, it needed a rear brake, the RD was kaput and the saddle clamp was shot, I did replace the bar tape although I have seen other examples that still had original tape in surprisingly good condition and the saddle was a nothing to write home about plastic and vinyl model of the middle 70s. Also the decals were so shot I scrapped them off, this was one of my first rebuilds so I didn't give it the respect it may have deserved but the lady who bought was sure in love with it as it was just like one she'd had as a teen.

Mid 70s Varsity