View Single Post
Old 10-24-20, 06:20 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
The reasoning is that majority of your weight is on the rear tire during most riding. The rear tire has something like 60% of the load, so having the front tire lower means that tire is more compliant and doesn't beat you up as much. In principle, you would want the front at about 2/3rd the pressure of the rear (for static riding).
During aggressive braking, your weight shifts significantly forward, so if the front tire pressure is too low, it will wallow and handling suffers. So there's a trade-off between static riding comfort and aggressive handling.
Personally, I run my front about 15% lower than the rear, but I tend to ride fairly aggressively on most bikes. You can experiment by lowering the front pressure in 5 psi increments.
to the fellow asking the question"--- this pretty much sums it up. I weigh a good 80lbs less than you so my pressures have no connection to yours and I haven't a clue, but lower front pressures are standard procedure.
if you don't have one, but yourself a floor pump with gauge, and start trying different pressures.
Proper pressures , not too high, will be more comfortable and faster for a wide variety of road surfaces.

I commute all the time and for years have done pressure tests over a repeating route, and it's proven to me that proper lower pressures are as fast or faster, and way more comfortable than max pressures, while putting out the same power.