Old 12-07-19, 03:10 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Ok, while I'm waiting for the PB Blaster to work so I can remove the hub locknut, someone please tell me why this freewheel was designed like this. I know few engineers consider the end users needs to be paramount.(This is obvious, considering the design of so many products.) But this beats most for a big middle finger to the user. Or perhaps just a who cares about you, anyway? (Truck batteries with almost inaccessible side mounted terminals runs right up there...) Does anyone remember Peter Cook's first appearance in Bedazzled? If anyone knows, pass it on. They were so worried about consumer backlash, there is no name on the freewheel...
Just brilliant, or am I really missing something?

WTF? Why?

Eric
The dust cap appears to be for a Shimano Uniglide freehub body. I don't believe it is a Dura Ace model because those said "Dura Ace" right on it and also had 2 little holes, 180 degrees from one another (that could be opened and closed) and then be used as micro grease ports to inject grease into the bearings with a micro grease gun.

If you are setting out to repack the wheel bearings, it is not necessary to remove the cassette cogs. All you need to do is to use your 15mm cone wrench and the correct locknut wrench and undo the non-drive side locknut and cone from the axle, then slide out the entire rest of the axle assembly from the drive side. You can then pull out the ball bearings and either remove the dust caps (carefully) or just leave the dust caps in place - your choice.

If you want to remove the cassette cogs - it is just as the others have said - use 2 chain whips and spin off the threaded outer cog. Then the remaining cogs merely slide right off the splines. Very ingenious and in many ways a more versatile, long lasting system compared to todays HG freehubs which use a Hyperglide lockring. I personally really love old Uniglide stuff. The removal of the freehub does require a special tool which is out of production but can be found on ebay at a premium price. I believe that some people have made their own cogged freehub removal tool or there may be a Chinese vendor making a knock-off that works.