Old 06-06-19, 12:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
It is indeed super taxing, and frankly a little bit scary, but that goes away when the pain starts setting in. I know and trust these guys very well so that helps.

Pulls for Kev will be 30-40 seconds, and about 30 for Matt and Cody (four man teams). For me I will start at 20 seconds, then increase the length in the second half if I feel OK. So yeah, there is someone slowly transitioning at all times. One thing I learned pretty quick is that getting back into a TT paceline takes more effort than doing so on road bikes - at 30 MPH the 3-4 hard pedal strokes to get back in the draft is significant. Really that's when you pedal the hardest - not when on the front which should be smooth and progressively difficult. So you have to stop on the front a little earlier than you think.

The key is to hold a target speed. So if I feel like I can't pull for an even amount of time, I won't. If I can, then it will give my teammates that more much to dump out over the final few kilometers. Also, you only need to finish with three riders, but planning on burning me is unwise as mechanicals happen.

Really I wish I had more than a month to prepare for this as I am a total newbie to TTT and even riding a TT bike in general, which is totally different. I've been focusing on riding the TT bike for that month and we have had one solid practice session a week, and at this point, I'm starting to feel a little prepared.

I'm really excited for this! My buddies are engineers and have crunched all the numbers - they seem to think that we have a shot at the state champ medals! Even with little ol' me .

It would be so cool to have a framed California Bear jersey and medal at home, and to say I was part of the fastest (amateur) Californian team in 2019!!!

Last edited by TMonk; 06-06-19 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For TMonk: