Old 07-20-19, 06:10 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What to do in/around Boston?
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Someone (who is not me) decided we'd head over to the Boston area for our vacation next week. Anyone can recommend activities/cool stuff to do in the area (2 adults, 2 late teens)?

Doesn't have to be cycling related, but bonus points if it is! We will not have our bikes unfortunately.
Originally Posted by TXBDan
Yeh, you can cover a good bit of ground on foot in an day-evening.

I've done a couple visitor trips walking from Fenway (Bleacher Bar is cool, its under the outfield seats at field level and there's only a chainlink fence separating you from the field), down Comm Ave or Newbury St (shopping), to the Boston Public Gardens and into the Boston Common, could check out Beacon Hill and then work your way to the North End for touristy (but good) italian food.

From there you can walk along the harbor to the Waterfront area and in Financial District as a big loop. That's an afternoon-dinner-after dinner time frame. That's Boston proper, but there's also lots in Cambridge/Somerville.

Any specific interests or goals?
Originally Posted by late
The aquarium, Cambridge.
I live on Comm Ave (Commonwealth Avenue) on the route described by @TBXDan. And I have considered myself as Boston’s Ambassador to Bike Forums:
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Neighbors [from Texas] just back from Boston

Anyway they had a great time in Boston. They brought me this t-shirt when I put it on I started dropping the Rs like car became caw lol.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m transplanted from Detroit and have lived here for over forty years. Love this place, and I have posted:
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Been years since I have been there. It is an awesome city. One of my top favorites. Was there with a co-worker for a conference. We had dinner in the Italian distinct

If you ever get a chance to visit then go. A city well worth a visit.
... All my visitors have a great time here. Not to brag, but e.g…
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, all the ones which made it out alive ...
I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bikes], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated. I would highly recommend a visit to Boston to anyone. What a beautiful city--and if you are lucky enough to have someone as conscientious, thoughtful, and generous as Jim from Boston guiding you through that trip, you'll have it made!

We were able to see some really interesting things in Boston, and Boston has a great deal to offer. We were only there for the weekend, but I wish we had had more time to see the city.
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I loved Bahstahn a bunch, one cannot really call it a college town, it is the college town and consequently has become very bike friendly.

I was really impressed with the bike infrastructure developed in the town and the overall safety of the city..
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston). Arrived Friday afternoon and we took off for a ride around the city...

Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history. We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian, and ending Sunday evening at a Thai restaurant. All-in-all it was a great weekend...
I also have suggested Boston specifically as a cycling destination:
Suggestions for next epic ride

Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour … It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great.

One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth.…If you’ve never been here before, the experience may be even more…epic.
So, perhaps my reply is vague, but your request is pretty open-ended. I’m adventurous when I visit a new city, so here’s the most basic suggestions I would give myself.

First, do a trolley tour. The main historic and vibrant part of Boston is quite compact, but geographically pretty confusing. A trolley tour would orient you and likely suggest activities for your particular interests. IMO the Duck Boat tours are the most popular but kind of gimmicky, with a plunge into the Charles River. I recommend the Olde Towne Trolley.

As previously noted, Boston is THE Walking City. The stroll suggested by @TBXDan is somewhat peripheral to downtown, and I would suggest it as part # 2 of a Walking Tour. Part #1 is the easily found, navigable and interesting Freedom Trail.

A very convenient way to get around are the Blue Bikes Share System with many close docking stations covering a wide territory where you might want to go. There are also guided tours by bikes and even Segways. Of course as mentioned the Boston street system and drivers can be confusing so be careful, even as pedestrians.

I would be glad to answer specific questions, or make specific recommendations on this thread or by PM. I will suggest two other first-rate museums besides the aforementioned Aquarium: the Museum of Science, and particularly the spectacular Museum of Fine Arts.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-20-19 at 06:43 AM.