Old 07-20-19, 07:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What to do in/around Boston?
Originally Posted by rseeker
Find and walk the contour lines that delimit areas that will go under the waves with each foot of sea level rise.
That’s a pretty specific recommendation, @rseeker.

If the visitors are interested in historical esoterica, one of my local colleagues, a student of history as well as a member of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) has taken her sons along Battle Road, the Route of the British soldiers from and back to Boston for the Battles of Lexington and Concord, looking for the graves of fallen Redcoats.

Actually the Minute Man National Historical Park (link) in Lexington is quite interesting.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Old Ironsides if they still give tours or get west to visit the re enactors out by battle road etc…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…The adventuresome part began in Lexington where we were directed onto the Minuteman Historic National Park. This is a 5 mile long roughly-paved to hard pack to slightly sandy trail with historic makers.

It traces the path the British took to return to Boston from the fights at Lexington and Concord. There are signs that are marked by descriptions of, and the time of day that various skirmishes occurred during the march. I had never been there and I switched from tour guide to tourist along with the others.

Also a few historic houses and visitor centers are along the route, such as the Capt. Wiliam Smith House pictured below. The family tended to a mortally wounded British soldier for his last few days and he gave them gold sovereign he had hidden in his coat. Captain Smith was cousin of Abigail Adams.

While riding the trail, we saw a demonstration of how the Minutemen loaded and fired their muskets…

The image of this statue of a Minuteman with rifle was on US Government Savings Bonds when I was a child in the (Cold War)1950's (not me in the photo):

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-20-19 at 10:45 AM.