View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 07:46 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
they're araya single wall rims from the late 80's maybe early 90's. i've measured and checked it twice. that's how long the spokes are

i don't want to invest a lot in this particular wheelset. they're not "the best". i just want to use some spokes that are good enough for now. it occurred to me the other day if these decades old schwinn wheels (different wheels from the these 700c's) have lasted this long without rust, i could rebuild these 700c to learn and sort of just putz around on. and, they'll last a while.

the actual intention on them is to simply swap out the spokes one by one. a wheel building primer for me, if you will. later, i can get a stand and maybe spoke tension meter so i can swap out some rear hubs on a couple of my better double wall 700c's and even completely rebuild a couple of 26 inchers i have. do things proper. but, i get it. i've known for a long time DB stainless are the best way to go for really good wheels. i just can't justify the cost for these araya wheels

as for just getting longer spokes all around...ie. a lot of 303mm's (if that's what's being expressed?) my concern is i''ll run out of threads on the shorter side before they tighten properly. and, i think 12mm nipples are as short as they get. i don't quite have my head wrapped all the wheel building business, yet; getting precise spoke length with the math, nipple length varying by brand, etc.

i did read last night at other web sources until my eyes blurred and i'm sure i'll eventually grock it all, but most say it's not terribly complicated stuff even for the avg home mechanic. i do recall reading the spokes...whatever it is you get...need to be atleast flush with the trough inside the rim. is that correct? so, i guess i just need to keep patiently looking