Old 08-26-19, 03:18 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I bought my Defy because it was my 1st road bike and I wasn't sure whether or not I'd like riding. Turns out that I love to, and I now want upgrade components (Carbon wheels & Ultegra DI2). Replacing it completely will be cheaper than upgrading my current one. I could always grab a Defy Advanced Pro, which is a little more expensive than the TCR Advanced Pro. Still, I need to test a TCR.

My local shop offered to let me try both (TCR M/L and TCR L Advanced lineup (non-pro)) on their training exerciser so I can have an idea on the difference. At the same time, I'll be able to see if I like the TCR geometry & if they're able to fitt me on a M/L. I might just end up buying one of their Non-Pro ones (Adv. 1), but it would be hard for me to justify upgrading my bike & spending money for another one that does not have DI2 and Carbon wheels.

I'm aware that the TCR will put me in a more aggressive racing position, and I'm comfortable with that. My back and shoulders can handle the extra stress, as long as it's fitted properly for my body. If the M/L TCR can't be fitted properly, it's not worth buying it.
Di2 and a nice set of wheels are definitely worthy upgrades.

If you want a more aggressive riding position, I'd start by removing all of the spacers from your current bike, and ride it a couple of times...and go for long rides. If you like it, and feel like you could (comfortably) go lower, then go check out the TCR. You have a hefty stack of spacers on already, so jumping down to the TCR (with a more reasonable amount of spacers) would be a BIG jump so you want to make sure you can handle it before you dropped the money on a new bike. It's really hard to get a true feel of a bike/position from a 10 minute test ride.

Then, if I was in your position, I'd skip the non-pro model. You'd be better of putting the money towards your current bike and upgrade to di2 and carbon wheels...unless if you find that you need the more aggressive geometry of the TCR