View Single Post
Old 10-18-19, 09:38 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I don't have the extent of the issue you have described, but I see your bikes have drop bars. That is the #1 thing that helps my riding. I have to change my hand positions constantly to keep them from going numb and getting circulation issues. A lot of times I don't even grip the bars - I just rest my palms either on the top flats or over top the brake lever extensions with wide open fingers. That is my "work around". I would also hesitate to call my hands giving me troubles as a unique problem. I would venture a guess that most riders are the same to some extent. I don't think anyone can hold their hands in the same grip position for hours a day.

As an aside, and for what it may be worth (perhaps not much), I tried gloves also. I used to ride BMX/freestyle when I was younger and used gloves to hold off blisters. The gloves did nothing for my hands in current times. I did double-wrap the tape on my drop bars for more padding and a larger diameter, though. That has helped and I could probably even go a third layer for more padding and less contact pressure.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 10-18-19 at 09:41 AM.
Likes For KC8QVO: