Old 04-09-20, 05:14 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

The video shows a number of the problems I see with kickstands. The legs on that one seem to hang further down than the one sided ones. The mount is also extremely low. It seems low enough to catch on a curb or sharper speed bump. It also hangs low enough that it would catch on sticks, logs and rocks for off-road riding...which is the main reason I don’t use them.

Finally, the video illustrates why stands of don’t necessarily make working on a bike any easier. At 0:27, he spins the crank and it hits the stand. You couldn’t spin the crank all the way around while it is up on the stand nor could you spin the crank all the way around with a single side stand.
I'm trying to see your point of view, but if I'm willing to tote the extra weight, where's the harm? You have to admit, putting that double-legged stand up, firmly planted to the ground widely in two places, allows you to open your panniers and get to stuff a whole lot easier. While you're rummaging around in your rucks, you're not balancing the bike to boot. As far as spinning the crank, at least you can rotate it 180 degrees before meeting the leg as an obstruction. If I had no stand, how am I going to even examine a problem? How am I going to get the rear wheel off the ground? I can't spin the wheel at all because there is no way to prop it up to spin it. I'm not sure I'd be hopping many curbs, but I see your point, there. It is awfully low. I'm not likely to be going very far off road with the bike I have. The bike is strictly for road use. I've already eliminated this type of stand in the video because it's 2.8 pounds. That's way too heavy. I'm thinking about a different one that is lighter. Thanks for the reply as these are the types of things I need to consider before I invest in one.