View Single Post
Old 04-22-20, 05:51 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
Funny you should say that -- the Trek Domane was going to be my last bike, assuming that next would be something motorized I could putter around on at the old folk's home!!!

I was looking at the Domane SL 5. But the fact is that from a component perspective, the Domane and my Canyon were nearly identical. The Trek might be a bit heavier, and on the Domane Trek has that little tool storage thing in the down tube. But (and this is a big but) the Trek was $1000 more expensive than the Canyon. Sure I'd have a LBS to work with, but I'd also pay 7% Fla. sales tax on that Trek, meaning it would actually be $1200 more expensive. I just couldn't get the value proposition of Trek, at the level of bikes/components I was considering.

And here's another thing. Everyone has a Trek. Or a Specialized. And I do see some Giants. But Canyon is unique. I'd looked at Orbea because I've heard a lot of good about them, but the local dealer is handcuffed, cannot get bikes from Spain, for who knows how long. So to me the Canyon is not something you're going to see every day. In my riding I've seen 2...

Good luck with your decision. At the trim level you're looking at, you can't go wrong with either bike. I am still a loyal Trek fan (and have a Trek MTB) but I'm happy to be on a Canyon.
Haha, the new Domane I’m contemplating runs north of $ 12k! That’s for a bicycle with no motor, and the same componentry as the Canyon, give or take.......

And you’re spot on about the extra $ 1,000 for Treks - I call it the Lance Armstrong fund. And yes, everyone has a Trek or Spesh......

I know a lot of people dislike (or disdain) Treks, but I’m not one of them. In my nearly 8 years of ownership, the Domane has given me thousands and thousands of miles of endless comfort. I’ve blown through endless tires and chains, and a few Isospeeds, brake sets, rear cogs, a set of wheels, and bottom brackets - all in the name of hard riding......

And the Giant - even more so. It’s currently my daily here in VA mountains. They really nailed it with the Defy - it is a great climber in the rugged hills - very compliant, light as a feather, and fast. Surprisingly comfy for a 62 year old - a really fun ride!

So yeah, the Canyon will be a hoot. Not sure where its home base will be, probably Florida - but it’ll get a lot of usage.

I’ll be seeing a bike fitter shortly, and I’m sure he’ll have opinions about all the bikes, including Canyon.......he already had strong opinions about the Roubaix and Future shock( which I tried to buy, another story).

By the way, wife thinks I’m nuts, but I’ve spun this by stating there are no more spares for the Ultegra Di2 6770 sets for the existing bikes. This is true, as I had a hell of a time finding a rear replacement derailleur for the Giant after a hard fall from being attacked by a dog 🐕 here in VA. She knows I like bikes and enjoy them, so no problem.

Again, thanks for your encouragement and information. My next purchase after this will have 3 wheels and a big chair....Get ready for the FL heat!

Post Note: the Endurace CF SLX Disc 9.0 ETAP is pricing out at $ 7 k, the Di2 version $ 6 k. I think eTap has a power meter installed, thus the price difference. No color choices on website. Final decision on sizing and eTap versus Di2 pending....

Last edited by wthensler; 04-22-20 at 07:15 AM.