Old 05-07-19, 01:50 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I disagree with that...I find thru axles to be both easier and faster.

No QRs can be finicky.. getting them into the dropouts to begin with, then adjusting them.

Tru axles are simple. Theyre completely out of tge way when you're putting the wheel back on. Then they clamp in with exactly the same force every time.

Also, mine are a bit of a hybrid. Focus TAs just require a quarter turn when theyre in, then you flip the clamp lime you would on a quick release.
That design would help. But I still can't see it being easier than rim brakes + QR.

Perhaps it's my mechanical ineptitude, but I've got a bike with disks and thru-axles (Spec. Diverge) and it takes me quite a bit longer to get a tire off and on compared to my Scott with rim brakes and QR.

On the Scott I flip a lever to open the brake caliber, open the QR and fix the flat then reverse the process.

On the Diverge, I need to get an allen wrench, unscrew the inner skewer, remove it and the wheel. Fix the flat, then, if I'm lucky and it's the front tire, reverse the process which doesn't take much longer than it does with rim brakes.

If it's the rear tire (which it almost always is) I find it can be a bit finicky to get the chain back on the cassette while lining up the rotor between the disk brake pads and getting the wheel centered on the dropouts so I can thread the skewer back in. Then I need the allen wrench to tighten things up.

Sure, it's not the most difficult thing in the world, but it's definitely extra hassle beyond what I need to do with QR and rim brakes.