View Single Post
Old 07-07-19, 05:52 PM
Lotus907efi

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R w/ 10spd DI2, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 1998 GT Forte titanium, 1989 Cannondale SR600 w/Shimano 105 group, Nishiki Pinnacle MTB, Vitus 979 w/Campag Veloce, Peugeot PSV10

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Bah! Torx bolts used in bike parts

So recently I purchased a couple of frames that each came with extra parts and found something that really gets on my nerves. One bike came with a handlebar stem where all 6 bolts in the stem (four up front and two for the steerer tube) were torx bolts. When I first went to assemble this bike I couldn't get any size of allen wrench to fit solidly into the heads of the bolts. Then just today I went to loosen the bolt for the seat clamp on the other frame and was puzzled as to why none of my allen wrenches would fit into these bolts. In both cases after shining a light into the head of the bolt I discovered all of these bolts had a torx head instead of an allen head.

Just what I need is to have to carry yet another tool to make adjustments or to reassemble a bike if I have packed it up for traveling. So all of these torx head bolts are being swapped out ASAP for standard allen head bolts.