Old 02-07-21, 06:43 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,662 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by OuterMarker
Di2 Questions

This will be my first Di2 build and I have some questions. It looks like full Di2 kits are hard to come by now, so I will have to gather all the components myself. There seem to be several versions of Di2 and most of the stuff online goes over the first generation. I want the cleanest install (no visible battery packs or junction boxes).

It looks like I need a battery, a junction box, a battery charger, and a wireless unit (maybe?). I know the battery goes in the seat tube and the junction box goes in the bar end. But where does the charger and wireless unit go? Also, what cables do I need?
Good luck finding a Di2 groupset.
I just finished up a build. I ended up buying a Di2 "upgrade" kit and then was fortunate enough to find an Ultegra crankset and brake calipers separately. I already had a spare Shimano 11 spd chain, luckily.
The upgrade kit comes with an external junction A, so if you want a handlebar junction, you'll have to source out one of those. It also doesn't come with the wireless unit. Make sure you get the latest version of that. The charger (and interface) will just plug into the bar end junction and your computer USB port. Cable lengths depend on your frame and how you're going to wire everything. Make sure you get handlebars set up for internal Di2 wiring if you're using the bar end junction.
I don't race anymore (been about 40 years since I last did) so I really don't need a "fast bike". Mine is like a Ferrari with an engine swap from a John Deere riding mower, but I look impressive at the rest stops!