Thread: Finally! (?)
View Single Post
Old 11-26-18, 08:26 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I get a little impatient. I pulled Jake off the rack this afternoon to get the model number off the brifters (ST-5500) to see if I can find new nameplates and maybe hood covers. Fortunately, as I've always kept Jake indoors, the hoods are still in good shape, flexible and not a gummy mess. The lube inside the shifters, on the other hand, is a gummy mess.
I'll try to flush it out with some solvent (sans hoods and tape, don't want to mess 'em up), and re-lube. I know I need to be careful to ensure the lube goes all the way through, though.
If that works for a while, great! If/when I decide to give up on the old brifters, I'll probably just go to bar-ends, as I'm used to those on my Surly and the tandem anyway.
The derailleurs seem to be fine, and I'll just clean/lube those. I'll probably go ahead and re-cable. The chain was replaced a few short miles before I more of less stopped riding, so it'll just need a clean and re-lube. The BB was also replaced and only has a few miles on it. That and the headset feel fine, so I'll just inspect those and they'll probably be ok.

More pertinent to this thread, however... I've been looking for a manual for this bike with a rider weight rating, with no luck so far. I did find a more recent manual that did have a max rider weight for their various models, and the aluminum Jake was listed as: 300lb rider/30lb cargo = 330lb total. This is with the stock CXP 23 32h wheelset, which I upgraded in the rear with wheelsmith 14/15/14 spokes after a couple snapped on a short tour. I never had a problem with that wheel after that.
I'm looking forward to getting back together with Jake, and I think that by the time I get the work done and have time to give him a thorough checking, I should be pretty well below those limits. Just to be safe, I do have a clyde wheelset just waiting, and I'll toss the Mavics back on once I'm below, say, 250.

315.8 this morning, by the way.