Old 07-16-19, 04:19 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
For sure- all that you mention makes sense to me, but I'm one who prefers use of the tops, hoods, hooks, and drops.
If someone wants the style of bar but prefers to stick to the hoods, then it seems best to angle the drops to point severely down since that let's the hoods be level.

It's an interesting adaption of design- both 'camps' making the same piece of equipment work for their style of riding.
I definitely don't want to push against the drops, which is how it would feel with the drops angles down a lot, but others seem to like that as a setup.

I've wondered if the difference is based on original dirt drop bars versus new gravel flare bars. They are different in shape(though most all these style bars are different from one another) and maybe that difference in shape is why people set them up differently?
Or maybe it's really just because some salsa blogger once mentioned years ago that he likes his bars at an angle, so that's how many set their bikes up(with even more angle) due to influence and direction?

I wish I could bend aluminum and make some killer gravel drop bars. Flat hoods, flat drops, and flare. I could steal Surly's FFF abbreviation then too.
Might want to check out the cowchippers, mine are rotated about 3 degrees up from flat, but you could easily get the hoods flat and the drops depending where you mount the levers and which ones you are using