Old 08-06-19, 07:00 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 65 Posts
my $0.01 (cad) worth:
You are doing good to think tire size as a priority. I use 32mm tires that are super fast – I’m convinced they are faster than smaller tires around here because they smooth out the crappy pavement. If your bike can go up to 40mm, that gives you a lot of flexibility – for large summer tires, or fenders or studded tires with snow build up. 40mm is kind of the standard for any gravel oriented bike these days.

Personally, mechanical disk brakes are just as good/bad as rim brakes in my experience. The one huge difference is in snow/ice where they are horrible. So – go for hydraulic disk brakes. Disk brakes make it easy to change tire size too. Big bonus.

Road bars give you a lot of flexibility for hand positions. For commuting getting the second set of brake levers can be handy (one for the drops and then one for the tops). Not sure this works with hydraulics though.

Raleigh Tamland is a good steel bike for your purpose – not sure on the compatibility with your hub choice though.

FYI, I find the Schwalbe G-One to work surprisingly well in snow and winter – it is an excellent all around tire (if your not doing gumbo mud).