View Single Post
Old 08-14-19, 01:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
I think you both missed the “On A Budget” part of the video title. The purpose of the build was always to get maximum bang for minimum buck. AXS and Dura Ace are not budget choices. It is, as pointed out above, a “thought experiment” but for someone putting together a build, it’s a decent jumping-off point.

I like the idea of taking an old frame and putting modern parts on. As said above in a couple places, a vintage steel frame with 753 or Columbus SL would be a more fun project than an early 00’s Trek, but each to their own.
No, I get that.

The complete 105 groupset on my bike - cables, bottom bracket and everything - was $311.11 from England the month after Brexit was announced. The Dura Ace C24 wheels were $700 for the set on closeout. The frame was powder coated for $125. The FSA K-Wing is first gen aero, ovalized actually, and was dirt cheap. Etc.

It is all on a butted aluminum 2002 Fuji Robaix which started life with 9 speed triple and presently isn't too far off from what is being described.

Before

After

-Tim-