Old 08-21-19, 12:49 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Not over protective, but realistic. It's a mad, mad, mad world.
I can't agree with it's a mad, mad, mad world - most especially not from the saddle of a bike. I don't know when was the last time you went on tour for more than a few days away from home, but the world is, generally, a warm, friendly and welcoming place. My experience of touring away from home backs this up. Of course, the right frame of mind certainly helps.

I may provide a sidearm to make me feel better about it.
Two things; That will require a lot of compliance with different state/local laws? Better make sure she knows them all - and doesn't get lost!
Second of all - to make you feel better?

Isn't this really about you and your fears? Maybe you should be looking for ways of dealing with those rather than transferring them to her. Awareness is one thing, fear is another.

I know girls who have been *****, harassed and accosted, and don't want my girl to experience that kind of horror......
I did teach her some basic knife fighting skills, and she is not afraid of defending herself as she participates in "Israeli" fighting instruction at a dojo of some kind.
Do you really think that you know more than her about the risks that she will be exposed to? Did you drop her on her head several times when she was a kid?? Seriously, any 25 year old woman knows far, far more about the risks she can be exposed to than her father - no matter how good the relationship is.

Not stalking you, but here's your quote from the Feelings heading off on tour thread;
Summer of 1977, year before graduation from high school. Excited, really, really excited! Jubilant, happy, excited! Will never forget that feeling, and have experienced it with my cross country motorcycle trip, first foreign country visit, fist child, etc. Nothing can compare to that wonderful feeling of adventure!
Do you want to deny your daughter the same?

Honestly, a cross country trip for a 25 year old could be the making of them! How I wish I had done a big tour at that age! Young enough and flexible enough to give it a good go, old enough to appreciate the journey and experience.
It could also be a great growing moment for their father.

Why not invite her to post here and let people help her achieve her goal?
Likes For HobbesOnTour: