View Single Post
Old 04-09-20, 12:05 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Another take on cycle clothing

Due to skin cancer issues I buy long sleeve Coolibar fitness shirts. I usually buy the sportier fitness shirts meant for hot weather. I find they work well as layers in the winter also. I use thrift store sports shorts, either running style or swimming style during the cooler months. I am not having saddle sore issues so I keep using these types of shorts. My rides are 10 to 20 miles long. During summer I switch to Coolibar fitness pants because of the already mentioned skin cancer issues. I find the long Coolibar pants to be almost as cool as shorts but much more protective of the sun of course. I use a Da Brim mounted on my helmet to keep the sun off my neck, ears, nose and chin areas. Da Brim works great but is a wind catcher. I'm not a racer so I use platform pedals and walking shoes. I'm thinking about trying running shoes like 257 roberts. For decades I bought cycling gloves which last 3 or 4 months and finally swallowed my pride and bought generic hardware store leather work gloves. They last for years and are much more sun protective. I raced road in the 1970's with padded shorts and the wool jersey's of the day, shoes and cleats, racing bicycle on tubulars. But aging and skin cancer have changed my focus. Maybe a bicycle clothing manufacturer will come out with some sun protective bike specific clothing that is as good as the Coolibar clothes. Haven't seen them yet.
Likes For tallbikeman: