View Single Post
Old 04-10-20, 10:57 AM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As somebody with a really bad back, I'll add perspective.

#1 : As an older guy (your blog puts you at 51yo) your back has gone through a lot. There is a chance that the spine has degraded -- through the natural loss of bone mass, arthritis, stenosis, degenerative diseases (Spondylosis) and the aggravations of age on congenital defects. Therefore before you get into the exercise of the day, it pays to have your spine scanned. X-Ray, CAT, MRI are the scans shown in order of increased cost and clarity.

I was given exercises for years with limited results. Then I walked into the office of a sports orthopedic surgeon who took one look at me and ordered a scan. I was born with 6 defects in my lumbar region. I had an extra lumbar vertebrae. All of the lumbar vertebrae were small, which created two problems: the inside of vertebrae had narrowed with aging causing a stenosis that was pinching my spinal cord and weakening leg strength, and the small size of the bones caused massive compression on the discs when I was squatting crazy-heavy weight. Eventually I blew two discs, had surgery, and the back hasn't been the same since.

And just because I had that surgery, it doesn't mean the back quit aging. Recent CAT scans have revealed spondylosis, arthritis and foraminal stenosis. It was only after my most recent scan that my current sports ortho doc gave me exercises. At age 50 and beyond a scan is helpful.

One more thing. I just noticed this year, and it goes back to the dream time and my previous racing: spend more time in little gears early in the season. Back in the day the maxim was 1,000 miles before you ever pedaled bigger than a 70" gear, I'd get this lower back pain at around 20 miles. By about the 1,000 mile mark that pain would go away. And that was right about the time I started pushing the bigger gears. Fast forward to my re-entry to the sport and for the past two years my cancer had me forgoing that base work and I was having big back problems, including debilitating spasms. Because of COVID this year is a training year and I'm kicking it old school. Sure enough, that 20-mile pain came back. BUT, it was low stress and lower, early-season miles. Like in the article you posted, it was low-stress repetition and rest that allowed me to strengthen my back. Now, I'm just starting to push the bigger gears and I'm doing it with a lot less pain than the previous couple of years.

So, for me, lower gears early in the season, and higher-rep/lower-weight squats in the weight room. And since you have hit 50, get that back scanned.