Thread: Step throughs
View Single Post
Old 08-08-18, 01:38 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Step through frames are a big help on a utility bike where the bike might be loaded like HotBike's. The problem with the older "women's" frames is that the y have skinny tubes, the mid tube may not have lateral tubes that extend to the rear drop outs. This will result in a frame that will flex or even bend with heavier men and more aggressive riding.

My wife has a Raleigh and Aluminum frame with a single fat down tube. When I ride it, it feels pretty solid.

Virtually all of the bike share bikes are step through frames and most have one fat down tube. As these get more commonplace, I think we'll see more men riding step through frames.

In fact, one other force is at work and that is that many men in my neighborhood cannot afford to buy a new bike. They use their bikes to get to work and get around. And they buy or find what they can get. Many of them are on "Women's" bikes. My neighbor across the street included. He rides a woman's mountain bike.
Likes For Velo Mule: