Old 07-15-19, 07:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Tell me about acts of heroism and kindness done by bicyclists.

I have previously posted to similar threads, including this particularly “heroic” one:Life-saving cyclists”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m not sure about the intent of this thread. Is it to inform us about cycling paramedics, or exhort cyclists to become roving responders?

We have cycling EMTs at major city events impassable by cars, but not on a futile routine patrol; rather on alert in ambulances to respond quickly and sometimes under dire circumstances.

I would think that stopping at a medical crisis situation could be fraught with hazards and liabilities.

Nonetheless I recognize that even in mundane situations of distress, cyclists have a unique opportunity for such “random acts of kindness.” For example…I have also returned two cell phones and one wallet lying in the street.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I usually offer while rolling ... "need anything?" only stopping if they do. this past year, only 1 taker
Originally Posted by winston63
Yep, that's my MO in these situations. I've had a couple of people who did need help and it's: gratifying to be able to help them out.
I once posted regarding good deeds that cyclists perform as a result of their nimbleness, flexibility, and accessibility is that we are the Knights Errant of the Road
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The adjective errant (meaning "wandering, roving") indicates how the knight-errant would wander the land in search of adventures to prove his chivalric virtues, either in knightly duels (pas d'armes) or in some other pursuit of courtly love
For example…
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-15-19 at 08:23 AM.