Old 10-16-19, 06:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Over the years, RAGBRAI has become a nice profit center for the Des Moines Register and their corporate owner, Gannett. Each year, it becomes a little more "corporate" and they squeeze the vendors harder and harder for a slice of the pie. So it was kind of delicious to watch their Carson King muckraking backfire so spectacularly.

I don't know exactly what TJ wanted to say but couldn't, but many of the Iowa cyclists I know figure this incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back. If TJ and the other organizers really wanted to destroy RAGBRAI, they would have simply quit. Starting a new ride allows them more freedom to continue the tradition we enjoy without DSM/Gannett's meddling and stipulations.

Logistically, it will be interesting to see how things shake out. I suspect that within a year or two, one of the rides will fizzle out, and everyone will come together for the one that survives. On the other hand, having 20,000 people split between two rides wouldn't be the end of the world for those of us who thinks RAGBRAI gets too crowded at times. Either way, I think the outlook is good for us riders.
Sure but that's a completely different story than the one the organizers are telling, right? Why else start a competing ride on the same dates unless they wanted to damage Ragbrai?

The organizers are mad and the question is why. Your story makes more sense than the one that is being reported.

By the way, why not just say that? The organizers could have said that they think the Register is doing a poor job of running Ragbrai and it was time to move on.

What in the world does the Carson King story have to do with this decision?

Last edited by bikemig; 10-16-19 at 07:04 PM.