Old 05-10-20, 05:46 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Seems unlikely that removing the end cap will be easy, especially with the hub laced up into a wheel. From this VSalon post I quote:

Needless to say, I do not have said bearing press. I'm not sure what it looks like, but I wouldn't be surprised if it required the hub to be unlaced from the rim and for the freewheel to be removed first. I'd then be in a chicken-and-egg situation. I suspect the correct solution will be to find a suitable freewheel remover, such as the Dura-Ace or Bicycle Research tools mentioned in earlier posts.
Are we saying there is some Regina tool that won't work with a Phil hub? Can someone give an example? Seems to me, any Regina 2-prong remover will work as well on a Phil hub as on any other hub.

Now, with the splined bodies, that's not true, you need the Phil remover for that. But with the 2-prong, they all work equally well with Phil hubs as with Campy, Normandy or what-have-you. You absolutely do not have to remove any end-cap.

If there are any counter-examples, please provide a photo showing why it wouldn't work.

Mark B