Old 05-10-20, 09:52 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Beware, the splined remover style of Regina only works with a Phil hub if you get the remover made by Phil Wood. Or maybe I shouldn't say that categorically -- maybe someone else made them too? But a regular Atom-style remover like the Var will not fit, you need a super thinwall remover, such as the one Phil used to sell. Ah, I see Park makes an Atom/Regina remover, but one reviewer (John M. Schubert) on Amazon said it does not fit over Phil or Campy. Not thinwall enough. Can anyone confirm?
I can confirm that the Park remover does not fit over campy locknuts. They have to be taken off to use the tool. Kind of a pain, but they work and they won't shear off like a Phil.

I had a Phil splined remover, but it somehow got lost in a move a few years back. They do get destroyed from time to time. I've killed one or two in my day. This was using them every day in a shop though, for home use probably fine.

WRT the OP, I'm certain I've removed many many Regina freewheels from Phil hubs, and I am also certain I never had to remove the axle. I don't remember which tool was used. Probably whatever one out of the bin fit best, most likely a VAR.

I assume you know not to try this without a QR clamping the tool on, but I'll repeat it just in case. Never remove a freewheel from a hub without the tool firmly clamped to the freewheel with a QR.