View Single Post
Old 09-17-20, 04:06 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I raced on a Santana 30/30 GP for two years down here in Ventura. This was one of two (I think) special prototypes that never went into production. Down below there was nothing other than places to stow gear. It surprised me how competitive the boat was given its year. We took first place two years in a row for the VYC circuit. I can’t remember ever working so hard to go sailing, guess I’m not a racer! It was a blast to sail though, very good in heavy air , and that surprised me. I had always thought of ULDB’s as wimps when the the wind picks up, boy, was I wrong. Fat Tuesday was a hoot in 30-35 it’s of wind!
I have seen that boat. That boat later was known as a PHRF rule beater. different design completely by Nelson / Merek. The rule "beat" was it was I was advised originally classified as a 30/30GP production version that had more, but not much more interior. Carried its beam quite far aft. Not like the current crop of sportboats today with a 30' length will weigh a ton less that what you raced on. My boat is like 20% heavier than the typical 30/30