View Single Post
Old 03-25-19, 07:55 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Santa Cruz Crit yesterday - so much fun! A NorCal classic - it's been run since 1970.

I hadn't done this race in two years, forgot how awesome it is. Especially when it's dry, considering the race has a downhill-ish hairpin turn and some manhole covers in the last turn.

48 riders in our Pro1/2 field, my team had six guys. One of our dudes can go otf and win solo, one can win the field sprint, and I could maybe win from a break. The rest are strong and can get in breaks to shut them down and/or lead out.

Our breakaway guy got away in the first 20 mins as planned, but 15 mins later he's on the side of the road holding his bike and looking bloody.. damn. One of his breakmates took him out somehow - the case is being litigated on Instagram as we speak.

So that put us in a position to chase, which sucks but at least we knew what to do. The break was brought back and a reshuffle happened - I went with a few late breaks, sitting on hoping that they either tow me to the line and I win, or we get brought back and our sprinter wins.

Three guys did get away in the last few laps without one of us, our sprinter took the field sprint for 4th. I sat up last lap since I was toasted, came in 28th. All in all a good day on the bike.

Looking forward to the Chico stage race on Friday!

my race videos