View Single Post
Old 04-02-19, 10:40 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yeah, being in 4th wheel was perfect. If you could have pushed hard when the two guys came up on your left and gotten on that wheel, you'd have been in prime position. It was open as well at that point, so no need to even fight for it.

Last lap I do everything in my power to jump on any passing wheel. My eyes are constantly looking for movement on both sides (shadows help, too) and I'm ready to push right in. It's the only way I've found to avoid being swamped. You simply can't move up when you're in the middle of a pack, so you've got to constantly be looking to the sides to go. I've also found it helps to get "bigger" with wider elbows and knees.

It takes a few times of doing it, but once other riders see you there, you're likely to get a bit more respect (though this probably varies with locale and competition). Speaking as a more aggressive finisher, if I see a cat 3 on a wheel I want I usually just try and take it from them knowing they're very unlikely to hold their ground. Most cat 2s as well unless it's one I know can finish. But once you establish yourself a few times and maintain that position (and you'll probably lose it a few times, too, that happens), the other guys will be less likely to muscle you out, especially in local series where you race the same people a lot. In any case, it's a matter of the more you doing it, the more comfortable you get doing it and the better you become at it.

You already clearly have a nose for the finish and can get into a good position. Now it's holding that position and recognizing that advancing it = holding it in the last k to be in the position to sprint for a podium.
Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback. I think you are exactly right. That was my first last-lap sprint finish of that caliber. The caliber will likely decrease over the course of the season as it gets hotter, giving better opportunity for people at my level. But time will tell if I can develop, get faster, get smarter.