View Single Post
Old 12-23-20, 03:22 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
jPrichardJr: I don't work on bicycle frames, but I make this kind of decision on "bargain" stringed instruments. Here's my decision tree.
  • If it's a really valuable thing, or if it has sentimental value or "cool" value and I can spend the money, then I'll pay the money to have someone else repair it.
  • If I'm teaching myself how to do particular skills (like metalworking), then I'll write the thing off in my head and give the repair a try--figuring, if I screw it up, well, it was already dead.
  • If either of the first two conditions fail, no matter how good a deal it is, no matter what the balance of value-as-repaired and cost to repair is, I walk away fast and never look back.
When I've ignored that rubrick, it causes me untold heartache. When I'm on the second tranche--learning new skills--it's always worthwhile even if the repair fails. Invariably I find myself using those skills I learned, later on another project.

You're reminding me of why I held onto it: free practice. It's not a particularly rare frame (although I see fewer and fewer of any pre-1984 Treks) but it would be something special if I ever learned to braze myself and could have some fun with it.