View Single Post
Old 05-07-21, 08:34 AM
Schwann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtman
Those rims are in good shape compared to most I find around here these days.
I'd either clean them up as they are and run them till something better comes along or bite the bullet now and get them re-chromed or powder coated off white like the older Typhoon models. The chrome on those old rims is pretty tough, some time with a buffer and some polish may make them acceptable. Some proper chrome polish and a good high speed buffing pad can work wonders.
The decals are available, most of the other chrome bits were made by Wald for Schwinn. The bars, fenders, and seat post are all just off the shelf Wald parts if your not going for a restoration.
I had a flamboyant red 1965 model as a kid, it was in mint condition when I handed it down to a younger brother, who proceeded to strip it down and beat it to death as a BMX type bike. No clue what happened to hit after that.

Here's one I picked up a few weeks ago, found it in a dumpster behind an office building.
I'm in the process of going over it bit by bit. The chrome luckily is in great shape, the rims have some scratching but their perfectly round with good spokes.
The tires aren't original and made by Carlisle, the rear hub was so gummed up the bike wouldn't even roll. There's a few dings in the fenders but I can fix those. The paint has its fair share of scratches but not bad enough for me to want to or have to repaint it. According to the serial number, this one is a 1972 model
Nice! There is Typhoon for sale about an hour from me, but the person selling set a very high price. It's not in as good of a condition as your dumpster find.