View Single Post
Old 01-02-20, 06:13 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
I'm getting back into cycling after decades away, so a lot of the categories are a bit confusing. I thought I was getting some handle on it, but with this thread I'm wondering what the differences would be between a flat bar gravel bike and a hybrid. Tires and gearing?
I was in the exact same position seven months ago. I made some purchases I regret, so here's hoping my experiences save you money and time (in terms of trial and error).

First: assess your fitness level and what position you like to ride in. I thought I was too out of shape to ride drop bars so I bought a fitness bike (Trek FX S6) with flat bars. Loved it at first, regretted it after 2 months when I got my first drop bar road bike and realized I loved going as fast as I could and riding in a more aero position.

I sold the FX and bought a Giant Revolt gravel bike. The main differences are: drop bars and support for slightly wider tires (35mm vs. 43mm) and also support for 650b with even wider tires for the Revolt. Gearing is slightly different, they're both Shimano 105s but I have slightly smaller front chainrings on the Revolt and a slightly larger rear cassette, so it's likely close to a wash. But all of this is change-able whichever one you get.

Off-road capability-wise they're about equal. I didn't hesitate taking either out on gravel and light trails, especially with Panaracer GravelKing SK TLCs on them. I wouldn't take either one on terrain where a mountain bike thrives.

It's when you go on-road that the difference is pronounced. Because of the more upright position, and wide handlebar position of the fitness/hybrid, your body acts as a parasail in the flats. Whereas I'm considerably faster on my Revolt. Here's a totally unscientific look at my average speeds on flats, at approximately 85% effort (based on my Wahoo Roam and keeping heart rate around 155-160 according to my HRM) at my normal local route.
  • Cervelo S3 eTap 25c tires: 23mph
  • Giant TCR Di2 28c tires: 22mph (it's a 2lbs lighter bike but that aero frame on the S3 does seem to make a difference on the flats, at the expense of compliance)
  • Giant Revolt 105 43c tires: 20mph
  • Trek FX S6 35c tires (now sold): 18mph

While I'm still slower on my Revolt than either of my road bikes, I still feel fairly fast and agile. Versus my hybrid bike which I came to think of as "not as fast as a gravel, but with the same off-road capability, and not as off-road as a MTB". But if you're most comfortable riding upright on flat bars, and don't plan on going on mountain bike terrain, then a fitness/hybrid is the way to go.
Likes For CarloM: