View Single Post
Old 07-18-20, 07:39 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I was nearing 400 a couple years ago, and though I did most of my initial weight loss with hiking and walking, I eased into riding as well.
The two bikes that bore me well are my Montague Paratrooper, which only has a 240 lb factory claimed weight limit, but they mentioned the wheels as being the limiting factor.
So, I found a 36h Rhyno Lite wheelset, and they've held up very well.
I also bought a Surly Long Haul Trucker, for the reasons mentioned above, and swapped the original wheels for a set of Velocity Chukkers. These also held up well.

Now that I'm below 240, I've started going to lighter wheels on some of my bikes, and I swapped the original Alex Adventurers back on the LHT. I'll probably figure out the best sweet spot wheelset for that bike at some point, but these are doing very well in the meantime. They might have been just fine at my fattest, but I don't plan on ever testing that again.